I made a sewing machine cover a couple weeks ago. I am not going to lie, it didn’t turn out awesome. It had all the makings to be great. A pocket! Beautiful fabric! Custom made-for-my-machine design!
I thought I was being smart. I decided to add interfacing to the fabric I was using in order to give my finished cover a stronger body. I went to Joann’s to buy some interfacing and picked out what looked to be the perfect product. The first piece I adhered to my fabric came out very different from what I was expecting but had a cool quality to it. It was almost like it turned the fabric into something resembling oilcloth. Turns out, instead of buying fusible interfacing, I bought paper-backed fusible web which is used for creating appliques. Now, I liked the way the fabric felt and it sure gave the cover some great body BUT, sewing these pieces was a nightmare. A NIGHTMARE.
I had to change my needle twice as the residue from the backing would get all gunked up on my needle. When stitching, it kept getting stuck and I would have to push the fabric along leading to uneven stitches. Due to inconsistent stitching, the pieces refused to match up evenly when sewn. I had to rip and re-sew several pieces of this project. Ugh. In short, it was a huge pain to sew and I am shocked I managed to finish with something usable.
I know you can’t really tell what is wrong with it by this picture but if you were able to look closely you would see uneven stitching and some wonky gathering. My perfectionist nature is driven a little mad by having to look at the not so great parts, but really, it could (and probably should) look so much worse, I still love the fabric, the cover fits perfectly, and I think I would rather die than rip the project and do it again. So, I will live with it as is. For now.
Permit me to leave you with some words of wisdom: don’t ever buy a product just because it has the word “fusible” in the title. Just a little tip from me to you.