What is up with my blogging lately? Or I should say, my lack of blogging? If I really think about it there are several contributing factors. They are as follows:
- The gym: I joined a gym in early December and ever since have been working out, a lot. When you factor in my commute (2 hours a day) and then 2 hours at the gym 3-4 times a week, my free time starts slipping away from me.
- Obligatory knitting: I have been doing a lot of what I call “obligatory knitting” in January. These are projects I committed to knit, am gifting to people, or have a deadline for. This doesn’t necessarily mean it is boring knitting or knitting I don’t want to do, it just limits me from casting on and working on whatever pleases me at any given time. I HAVE to knit these projects, and thus they become obligatory and often squelch my interest in blogging about them.
- Stupid blogspirit: I joined blogspirit when I first decided to blog because a blogger I really liked used them. I signed up for the free service but after about a year and a half they told me that I couldn’t continue without paying them to host. I didn’t have the time or the inclination to switch at that point (all my photos are hosted through them) and so I thought I would pay for 6 more months and deal with it then. Well, due to a mix-up on their part with payment, they charged me twice (for 2, 6-month periods) and refused to give me a refund but instead told me it would be applied to a year of hosting. It didn’t matter how many emails I sent asking for a refund, they only answered a fraction of them and those that were answered were annoyingly simple and never addressed the content of my emails. So I gave up. My paid for year is about to reach it’s end and so I have been working on launching a new blog–stay tuned for details on that soon. Oh, and maybe the new blog will finally start showing up in bloglines. One can only hope.
- The departure of a most beloved sister: Kara left, this week in fact, to start her grand adventure abroad. I flew home last weekend to see her off and to help her pack. She called me from the San Francisco airport on Tuesday right before she got on the plane to Hong Kong. After our call I realized I don’t know what I am going to do without our regular check-ins. It is rare that a day goes by without me getting an IM, text message, or phone call from Kara. I am not sure if I like this international living situation she has planned. It is just not the most ideal situation for me. Plus I am painfully jealous. But I am very proud of Kara for what she is doing and support her all the way. May (the month of Kara and my London/Scandinavia/Paris trip) can not come soon enough. Miss you Kara!
- Hunger: This is a little misleading, I have not been going hungry. But the whole no sugar, no white flour/rice/pasta pledge for the month of January took a lot of planning and energy in order to not go hungry. It much easier to order a pizza then cook healthy meals. Why that has to be I wish I knew. Well, today is the last day of January. I survived and feel great. Especially since tomorrow I can eat a cookie if I want. I am not saying I am going to, but the fact that I can is very comforting.
In my last post I mentioned that there was an award for completing this January eating goal. Over the holidays, Kara and I went shopping at our favorite SLC LYS, Black Sheep Wool Co. As often happens when Kara and I shop together, we 1. enable each other to buy more and 2. often end up buying the same thing. On this visit I fell in love with the Norah Gaughan Vol. 1 book by Berroco. Oh my goodness, I love these knits. Kara and I both bought yarn for a first project from this book. Justina is the first knit skirt/dress I have seen that I think I could actually wear. The length is flattering and the a-line shape is a good style for me. I believe I finally found the project that I could use to take my first deep dive into what is uncharted territory for me: the knitted dress.
So for my reward, I decided that I would not cast on for this project unless I completed my January goal. Part because it is something I was excited about and part because I wanted to loose a little weight before I started a knit dress. Well, I did it. As of tomorrow I am free and clear to cast on for my reward. More on this project, other WIPs, my new blog, make my day thank yous and anything else that crosses my mind soon.
(yeah, yeah, I really mean it. more blogging soon. promise.)
The following 10 comments were originally left at blogspirit:
31 One Days!! Wahoo – you are totally amazing and I am so proud of you. You will look so amazing in the dress.
It was so great to see you last weekend. It made me realize how much I miss you 😦 I can’t wait for your new blog. And I truly believe I will be coming to see you in June – yay! Hope all is going well. Love ya.
P.S. On a knitting note, that dress is fabulous.
Congratulations on your sugar/flour free January! I’m really impressed – you must be so proud of yourself AND now you get to cast on for your dress. Awesome!
seriously the gym 2 hours 3-4 times a week? I’m so, so, SO impressed! That takes dedication and time. Good for you!
Yippee! Congratulations on sticking to your goal for January. You rock!
Obligatory knitting…now that sounds familiar. I am hoping to finish up all obligatory knits in February so that I can start working on delicious new projects.
Impressive that you stuck to your goal! And you’re going to the gym so religiously.
Oh, new blog – how intriguing!
No excuses necessary, although you’ve got some good ones up there! I can’t wait to see the new blog and the new dress. I do have a request, though: Please stop inspiring me to try to be healthy (Seriously, though–does it feel good?)!
PS “4. The departure of a most beloved sister”– I think you are channeling J.S. Bach, who wrote a “Capriccio on the Departure of his Most Beloved Brother.” Seriously, freaky! Have you had any inexplicable desires to compose harpsichord music lately??
I would recommend that you and your sister get headsets and sign up for Skype. Free long distance calling! Its been wonderful for my family as we are all over. I talk to my parents so much more now. Then you would arrange set times to call each other, plus instant messaging, and maybe you two could get webcams! No reason not to have regular check-ins in this day and age with amazing technology available!
Anne in Calgary
This newest post didn’t show up via bloglines! Anyhow- you are my hero… how’d you do without the sugar? Did you see some good results?
Fill me in! I’m curious!
Anyhow- hope you didn’t vomit in your hand after your work-outs. (Sorry. I had to.)