Just so everything I experienced in 2011 is not forgotten, I thought is was time for a random, itemized list.
1. I have become completely obsessed with homemade popcorn. (And not the kind you microwave.) One weekend my lovely friend Shelley came to visit and shared with me a caramel popcorn recipe that is out of this world. I even bought a pan so I can cook my popcorn kernels better. I also make really yummy kettle corn and buttered popcorn.
2. I ate way too much popcorn in 2011.
3. After 13 years with my Honda Civic I decided to upgrade and bought a lovely Audi named Michael. RIP Ali.
4. I bought an iPad in the spring. Hands down the best and most used purchase of the year.
5. I probably could have saved more money in 2011.
6. My Canadian grandpa passed away in the fall after years of living with some pretty hard physical trials. He was a really good man and my mom delivered an exceptional eulogy that made me wish I had known him better.
7. If I die before them I want my Mom and Dad to speak at my funeral.
8. Baby sister Bri gave birth to baby number 2 on December 28th, a beautiful girl named Lydia. I love her.
9. I am really glad Lydia wasn’t born on Christmas day. That would be the worst.
10. I am addicted to Shellac manicures. I love that it lasts 2-3 weeks and I love having color on my nails – even if my friend Laurel thinks it looks a bit tart-y.
11. My Mom and sister Kara and I like to watch British shows together. It is the most fun. Among my favorites this year was Sherlock, Middlemarch, and of course the exceptional Downton Abbey. (How good was the Season 2 opener last Sunday? Answer: SO good.)
12. I recently taught knitting to a few new friends from church. It has been a while since I have shared the craft and I like the feeling of having knitting children around.
13. Is it weird to call them “knitting children”?
14. I went to New York City with my Mom and sister in the fall. Every time I visit the city there is a part of me that is sad I never lived there, if only to prove to smug New Yorkers that I can hack it too. And I could. But then I get home and sit in my car and drive to Super Target and realize that I am doing just fine where I am.
15. 2011 wasn’t the best year ever for me but it wasn’t bad either.
16. If you believe a myriad of mystical sources (Chinese horoscope, tarot cards, intuits) then 2012 is a big year for me. As in good big.
17. I feel the need for a disclaimer: I am not calling the psychic hotline at night or anything. (Does that even exist anymore?) The above prediction has been accumulated over the years, by different sources, and quite by chance. Stop judging.