So many things to cover that aren’t really related. First off, thank you, thank you for the birthday wishes. For a birthday I thought was going to be awful, it turned out pretty awesome and all the blog love sure helped. You guys are the best.
You know what else is the best? Coffin racing. (yeah, that’s me, working the segue.)
This past weekend I went to the 13th Annual Emma Crawford Coffin Races. This quirky town actually dresses up in all manner of costumes, builds coffins on wheels, and races them down their main street following a hearse parade. I am not making this up.
Meet team “Fat Elvis’”
My favorite guy in the competition was the one in the white shirt. The shirt said “I’m Bad” and he warmed up by doing lots of high knee running. This was pretty much my most favorite festival ever.
Now onto some knitting content. Yes my friends, I actually finished something.
I really wish you couldn’t see one of my toes in this picture, but all the others came out blurry.
One sock. I did my part and now it is on it’s way to the talented knitter who will knit the other one. I really hope she likes it. And that it fits. And that she likes it. I really feel in love with this sock and particularly the yarn. Here are some quick stats:
Pattern: Socks for Veronik
Source: Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts
Yarn: Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock, Firefly
Needles: US 1 double points
And finally, fitting in with the theme of this post…I was tagged by Julie for the “8 Random Things about me” meme last week. Here goes…
- Most 80′s music depresses me. Generally I am talking about pop 80′s tunes like “Let’s Hear it for the Boy” and “Love is a Battlefield” and anything by Paula Abdul. Carnival Cruise Lines commercials depress me too.
- I like to “plate” my food like they do in restaurants and on Top Chef. I am not saying I am good at it or anything, just that it pleases me to try.
- My “game name” is Jem (as in the 80′s cartoon character, Jem and the Holograms). Not sure why I chose it except that I think Jem is pretty awesome. I was even Jem for Halloween this year.
- Because of the spray-on pink hair I used for Halloween yesterday, anything that came out of my nose today was hot pink.
- I love popcorn at movies and for years I would not allow anyone with me to eat any popcorn before the lights went dark. This rule stemmed from years of going to movies with my Mom who also loves popcorn but would always eat it before the movie started. I felt it was more festive to wait but if I waited then the popcorn would be gone. I have recently relaxed my rules because trying to enforce them makes me seem “demanding” and “OCD”. But deep down it still pains me to eat popcorn before the trailers begin.
- I am strongly influenced by marketing. How something is packaged, sold, and advertised greatly determines what I buy.
- I got glasses in second grade. I earned my first Barbie a few months earlier by reading the 80 books my Mom required me to read in order to have Blue Jeans Barbie for my very own. I read all the books in one night and one morning. In hindsight, I am not sure the Barbie was worth my expedited near-sightedness. Although in the end, I am proud to say that I liked books way better than I ever liked Barbie.
- I have been told that my sneeze sounds like a karate chop. My friend and old co-worker used to call me on the phone after she would hear me sneeze at work and when I would answer she would say “hie-ya”. It never got old.
The following 23 comments were originally left at blogspirit:
That’s awesome! I love a good parade ~ and that sounds like a good parade! Pretty sock, too–what a great idea!
please tell me you took pictures of “jem erin”!? i so want to see those.
the “bad” guy seems pretty sweet. i can just imagine him doing the high knee run. it made me laugh out loud.
The sock is beautiful. And I am afraid my son has the same popcorn rule, so we all sit there until given the go-ahead to start eating!
I learned a lot from your random 8 things. Who knew you “plated” your food?!
Coffin racing- I love it!! Towns should be quirky.
I hear you about marketing. I’m highly influenced by marketing, too- specifically food commericals. I see fries, I want fries. I see pizza, I want pizza.
My town? Outhouse races. Now THAT’S a high-knee kind of race.
Love the Elvises. Or is that Elvi? And as for the popcorn, I admit to not being able to wait to start it, but I refuse to finish it before the movie starts. There must be actual popcorn during the actual movie.
That Festival looks like a hoot! Most 80s music depresses (or drives me crazy!) because it’s SO BAD! I like your popcorn rule. Smith wouldn’t wait, however. #4…ewwww
Hee hee, this is all too much fun (re: your nose, the same thing happened to me when I dyed with Kool Aid…)! I would totally be with you on the popcorn thing, so next time we go to the movies you’ll have some OCD support.
PS Your sock is beautiful! I love the color, and the photostyling, although I did have to wonder why you didn’t want the toe (I assumed of the sock) in the pic at first.
I got glasses in 2nd grade, too!
Pretty sock! I’m sure the recipient will be thrilled.
Jem! Oh my! Please, please, please say you have a picture. I remember playing Jem with Kara when we were little. I have said it a couple of times allready to different people, Halloween reminds me of the Hallstrom’s and all fo the fun we had when I was little. We had some good times.
The sock is B-U-T-ful. I love the color.
Coffin Races will always be my favorite Halloween tradition from now on.
Okay the movie popcorn thing kills me ~i never finish the popcorn so it would never occur to me to wait to make sure there was enough for the movie.
I understand the popcorn thing. I can’t resist having some before the movie starts, but I try to just nibble until the previews are over.
Seriously, your sneeze reaches decimals that no human can comfortably hear.
That’s really wild that they have that festival. I’ve never heard of such a thing.
I’m not totally there with you on the popcorn, but I like to nibble on previews, but save the popcorn for the movie. But it smells so good, I usually cave during the previeww and gobble it down!
love the sock! that pattern is definitely going on my list.
That festival sounds fun! Now I totally want to see a picture of you as Jem!
What a pretty sock – your friend will love knitting the second one!
Love the sock and the Fat Elvises, but your random list entertains me to no end. I “plate” all of my food. I even when out and bought new plates after I saw how nice things looked on Top Chef on square plates. It’s alarmingly geeky when a non-chef goes through the trouble I go through for the sake of food presentation. Jem and the Holograms…truly truly truly outrageous. I loved this show when I was a kid, and 9 times out of 10, people have no idea what you are talking about when you start talking about it. And my career day barbie was your Blue Jeans Barbie. Unfortunately, I think I was always astigmatic.
Tee, hee! Coffin racing!
Your sock is lovely. I’m sure your pal will love it And I really enjoyed your 8 random things!
Good to hear that Colorado has a good coffin scene!
Love your sock, I’m sure your pal will too!
I try to “plate” my foods too. Some days are better than others
Have you ever noticed (#1 ) how grocery stores play depressing music, apparently to get you to buy more food? If I hear Phil Collins’ Separate Lives or Crowded House’s Don’t Dream It’s Over *one* more time when I go shopping, I’m going to scream.